Teachers, frequently, design activities which require their students to reflect on what they are most thankful for in their lives. However, how many of us pause to deeply and truly reflect on what we are thankful for?
Here are my “Top Ten” for this Thanksgiving.
10. I am thankful for waking up this morning. This means that I was given another day to live and participate in all of the wonderful things life has to offer.
9. I am thankful for having a warm, soft bed in which to sleep. Many do not have this comfort and must sleep in uncomfortable and unsafe surroundings.
8. I am thankful that I have an apartment to come home to each evening. Others do not know where they will find shelter at the end of the day.
7. I am thankful for the tasty meals that are part of Thanksgiving Day and for having an abundance of food to eat. How many will go hungry today?
6. I am thankful for my cat, Jeremy, who offers me his unconditional love and companionship daily. He ensures that I am never alone.
5. I am thankful for the opportunity to continue my education. I find immense joy in my studies, and as my father always reminds me, “An education is the only thing that nobody can take away from you once you have obtained it and the only thing you can take with you when you die.”
4. I am thankful for having a job that I love, where I can make a difference every day. To have a job you truly love is a rarity.
3. I am thankful for my few, but fabulous friends. They accept me as I am, flaws and all, and are always there for me when I need support. I only hope that I am as good a friend to them as they are to me.
2. I am thankful for my 94 year old grandfather. He took a chance on me when nobody else would. He gave me the opportunity to go to college. Without him, I would not be where I am today.
1. I am thankful for my family. We may argue and fight, and we may not see eye to eye, but we are still a family. How lucky am I to have a mom and dad and two brothers who love me unconditionally.
I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We should give thanks for all our lives are blessed with every day, but today, take an extra moment and really reflect on those blessings. Doing so reenergizes the soul and puts things in perspective.